Thursday, October 18, 2007

Grandpa Rollins

I've been wanting to write about my sweet Grandpa Rollins for a little while now, but it's just been too hard. On Tuesday night, after several weeks of health problems and being in and out of the VA and a care center for rehab, my Grandpa Rollins passed away. I'm so grateful that his suffering wasn't long and drawn out, and I'm so grateful that he was able to be at home with my Grandma and their children when it happened. But of course it's still so sad for our family. I've been trying to get the music together for the service on Monday, and random memories from when I was a kid just keep cropping up. My grandpa was a master gardner - there aren't many memories of my grandparents home that don't include their wonderful backyard and garden. I remember him taking me up to the top tier of their garden and picking pea pods for me and then snapping them open and letting me eat the raw peas. Raspberry picking, raking fall leaves, checking on the potatoes in the potato pit, the 24th of July family breakfast on their patio... I also remember loving to watch him pop popcorn. He has always, for as long as I can remember, had a bowl of popcorn popped and ready. And of course no one could make it taste the way he could. I still to this day cannot make popcorn taste that good. Every Sunday night the families would gather at my grandparents home for a few hours to have dessert and play and visit. I remember being very little and whenever he'd get up out of his recliner in the basement to go upstairs for something I'd run and jump in his chair. Of course when he came back downstairs he'd pretend to be surprised that there was someone sitting there and then he'd tickle me until I slid out and gave it back to him. I am so grateful for my family and my grandparents and what a profound influence they've had on me. I am grateful that Olivia was able to know her Grandpa Rollins. And I am especially grateful for the knowledge I have of a Heavenly Father who loves us and has an eternal plan for families to be together forever.

5 comments:

The Higgins Family said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful person he was. It's so good you've recorded those wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing.
Best wishes,
Melinda

the landreths said...

That makes me wish I had a Grandpa Rollins. What a wonderful man! My heart goes out to you, Em. It's so hard to lose someone so close to you.

Stacy said...

Emily, I am so sorry for your loss. What treasured memories though! Let me know if I can do anything for you!

Diane Owen said...

Hey Em, I know how much you loved your grandpa, i'm sure its been hard for you to lose him. I have a few memories of that yard and your grandpa myself from our high school days. He was a sweet man. If you need anything don't hesitate to call! You know I love you! My best wishes to your family.

Adam Jensen said...

Sorry Emily. I am so glad you have such a great relationship with your grandpa! It's funny he sounds a lot like mine, gardener, eating raw peas, etc... kinda crazy! My grandpa has cancer so I will probably be going thru the same feelings before too long. love you! hang in there!!!
love, Rachel