Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Spare Change

Several years ago I took an old purple waterbottle, covered it in stickers and gave it to Olivia to keep her spare change in. Like any kid, she has a fascination with collecting and keeping any change she finds. Once the water bottle was filled to the top I found a cute little green piggy in the dollar aisle at Target and the collection continued. We told her she could save up her money and use it for fun stuff or a souvenir the next time we went on a vacation. So on Friday we're off to Colorado for a few days and I finally decided to make good on my promise that she could spend her money. I hefted her purple water bottle into the diaper bag, emptied the contents of her green piggy into a sandwich bag and was off to the Coinstar machine at Super Walmart. $84.93 later...
PLUS $10.00 of birthday money from her great-grandmas...
and my five year old has more spending money than I do!!

8 comments:

Diane Owen said...

Oh hilarious! That is so great...I wonder what she'll buy?

Susan said...

Oh my goodness!! That really is a ton of money! :) My Emma has a piggy bank too and saves spare change in there - she's been saving for a few months and I counted it recently - there was a little over 10 dollars in there... and I thought that was impressive. I guess she needs to keep on saving! ;)

Trevlyn said...

That's amazing! Time to start handing water bottles out to my kids! What a great lesson you're teaching Livy!

aubrey said...

That be a whole lot a money!

Lucky girl!

Phillip and Mary said...

That is awesome! We're saving our spare change for a Bosch mixer! I know we'll get there eventually!

The Higgins Family said...

What a rich little girl! That's awesome. I'm sure you'll have a blast shopping together. :)

Kami Banks said...

It has been so fun to hear from you. I love the whole piggy bank thing. I also hope you are feeling better. I feel overwhelmed sometimes. I think it is something that I just have to talk myself through. Anyways, I hope things are going good for you.

Peck Family said...

WOW that's great!!!